Tax Exemptions

Can Chapters and Branches accept tax exempt donations?

The CPOA is a designated 501(c)(19) veterans’ not for profit organization.  CPOA Chapters and Branches are authorized to receive tax deductible donations.

For further information, please refer to the IRS Tax Guide for Veteran’s Organizations:

If a vendor you’re working with requests documentation, please contact the Executive Director at: who can provide what is needed. Many times, all a vendor needs is for you to provide them a W-9 with your Chapter/Branch Name, physical address, and Employee Identification Number (EIN). Block 3 should be checked “other” and then “501(c)19” in the blank. Sometimes, they may request National’s non-profit designation letter.

The Executive Director manages all aspects of each Chapter/Branch Tax ID number, or EIN. At the beginning of each year, he or she will reach out to Chapter/Branch leadership through the Regional Advisors, requesting your Gross Receipt Report, stating whether your Chapter/Branch made more or less than $50K in the previous calendar year. If you made more than $50K, your Chapter/Branch will be required to file taxes using your EIN. If not, your EIN will fall under our Group Exemption and the Executive Director will submit your annual 990-N (e-postcard) to the IRS.

If you have any questions concerning your EIN or proper reporting requirements, please don’t hesitate to contact the National Office at (703) 941-0395, or send the Executive Director an e-mail.

Join Today!

The United States Coast Guard Chief Petty Officers Association is unique among service organizations in that it was created by the Chiefs, of the Chiefs, and for the Chiefs of the United States Coast Guard.

Click to Join